Congratulations to Pat Slater, our March 2023 member of the month here at Viking Athletics! Pat is a loyal member of our Viking Barbell Club, and just finished 2nd IN THE NATION for his age group and weight class at at the 2023 National Master’s Olympic Weightlifting Championship. Pat enjoys working out with his daughter Abby, and follows a keto/carnivore diet. Keep reading below to learn more about Pat!
- What are your hobbies/interest/talents outside of the gym?
I am obsessed with Words With Friends/Scrabble.
- Share with us one thing that most people do NOT know about you?
I am a type one diabetic and have been eating a keto/carnivore diet for the last 10 years to control my blood sugar. I typically eat 2 pounds of meat daily and this gives me better control than 99.87% of diabetics worldwide. I am a diabetic rock star.
- How long have you been with us at Viking Athletics?
(Not sure and so I’m going to answer a different question) I started CrossFit 5.5 years ago with my daughter Abby when she was 11 years old. We met Coach Sarah Bryant 3 years ago and picked up the weightlifting bug. We still love CrossFit and do the Open and Murph on Memorial Day every year. We currently train Olympic Weightlifting three times a week.
- Take us back to your first week here. How did you feel? Remember the workout?
(I really have no recollection worth sharing and so I’m going to answer something else) Our first CrossFit workout was Abmat sit ups, box jumps and a 200 meter run, and we found that we love working out together.
- What moment/achievement are you most proud of at Viking Athletics?
Silver medal/2nd place at the 2023 National Master’s Olympic Weightlifting Championship.
- Design your perfect workout?
Any workout with the Viking Barbell Club and my daughter Abby is perfect.
- What is your least favorite movement?
I have a burning hatred of Bulgarian split squats.
- Summarize your lifestyle in 5 words or less.
Discipline Equals Freedom
- Have you experienced any changes in your lifestyle since joining Viking Athletics?
I am a faster, stronger and better athlete at age 58 than at any point in my life.
- What advice do you have for anyone who is thinking about joining or who has recently joined? Try to not be self-conscious about your limitations. Just do your best today and you will be amazed at the results.