Congratulations to Matt Dayton for being our January 2021 Member of the Month! Matt is a loyal member of our 6:30am class on week days and 7am class on weekends. He’s extremely proud of being able to perform strict pull-ups, and his strength and mobility have increased tremendously over the last 4 years. Check out his interview below!
- What are your hobbies/interest/talents outside of CrossFit?
I enjoy skiing and coaching my daughters’ soccer teams. During the summer, I enjoy spending time at Cape Cod and Lake George.
- Share with us one thing that most people do NOT know about you?
I have webbed toes on my left foot (second and third are stuck together). Despite this, I am still a pretty average swimmer.
- How long have you been with us at Viking Athletics?
I’ve been with Viking Athletics for the last 3.5 years.
- Take us back to your first week here. How did you feel? Remember the workout?
I did an on-ramp class and was intimidated by everyone in the regular classes. They all seemed to be so much stronger and fitter than I was.
- What moment/achievement are you most proud of at Viking Athletics?
Doing my first strict pull up. Prior to starting at Viking Athletics, I had never done one…ever. Now, I make sure to do at least a few at the end of every class just to make sure I never lose them.
Editor’s note: be sure to ask Matt about the Presidential Fitness Challenge.
- Design your perfect workout?
Rowing, wall balls, pull ups.
- What is your least favorite movement?
- Summarize your lifestyle in 5 words or less.
- Have you experienced any changes in your lifestyle now that you have been a CrossFit athlete?
I’m much more focused on what I eat. Over the last few months, I’ve worked with Coach Emma who has helped me see that what you eat impacts how you feel and perform at the gym. Her help has definitely made a big difference.
- What advice do you have for anyone who is thinking about joining or who has recently joined?
You should ignore any feeling of intimidation and join. Everyone here is extremely welcoming, friendly, and encouraging (even the ones who are actually way stronger and fitter than you!). Also, you will see amazing progress if you stick to the program.