Congratulations to Dana Melendez, our June 2023 member of the month here at Viking Athletics! Dana is a loyal member of our powerlifting program. When not in the gym, Dana loves to host dinner parties for which she cooks and bakes. Keep reading to learn more about her!
- What are your hobbies/interest/talents outside of the gym?
Baking, cooking, and hosting dinner parties.
- Share with us one thing that most people do NOT know about you?
One thing most people do not know about me is that I almost always have lo-fi beats playing in my house for background noise.
- How long have you been with us at Viking Athletics?
Almost 2 years
- Take us back to your first week here. How did you feel? Remember the workout?
I remember the strength was 95% cleans, but I hadn’t learned that every clean was a full clean so I did a half-assed power version and everyone looked at me terrified I’d hurt myself. I also remember doing wall balls, KB swings and burpees.
- What moment/achievement are you most proud of at Viking Athletics?
Pulling a 100 kg deadlift.
- Design your perfect workout?
85% cleans 6 sets of 3
Pull-ups or Ring Rows
Cals on rower or bike
- What is your least favorite movement?
Wall balls, then thrusters.
- Summarize your lifestyle in 5 words or less.
Focused, Determined, Perseverance, Appreciative, Reflective
- Have you experienced any changes in your lifestyle since joining Viking Athletics?
Been more mindful of how I time my meals, adjusting macros depending on if we are more volume or strength based.
- What advice do you have for anyone who is thinking about joining or who has recently joined?
Everyone should absolutely join. As someone who was not very athletic, my first two years of CrossFit I would choose my 4 workout days a week and commit to showing up regardless of the workout. A scaled workout is better than no workout at all.