Congratulations to Anil Mukka, our June 2021 member of the month here at Viking Athletics! Anil started with us at Viking Athletics as part of our CrossFit classes, but has since made the switch to mostly weightlifting. And, with the new creation of our powerlifting program, he dabbles in that as well. Read on to learn more about Anil!
- What are your hobbies/interest/talents outside of the gym?
I enjoy being on the beach, hiking, cooking, binge watching, and meditation apart from my office work.
- Share with us one thing that most people do NOT know about you?
I am an active blood donor in spite of trypanophobia.
Editor’s Note: Trypanophobia is a fear of needles
- How long have you been with us at Viking Athletics?
It’s been 10 progressive months (since Aug’20) with Viking Athletics 😀
- Take us back to your first week here. How did you feel? Remember the workout?
I did my on-ramp classes with Coach Emma. I was trying so hard to familiarize myself with the acronyms and work-outs. In one of the sessions, I was lost between Push-press and Push-jerk 😜 Also, I had to push myself very hard to complete my first WOD “Mini-Nancy” (customized one – 4 rounds Run 400m, 10 Overhead squats#35lbs). During the regular classes, I was intimidated by everyone as they seemed much stronger and fitter than I was, but they are very welcoming and supportive.
- What moment/achievement are you most proud of at Viking Athletics?
Hitting my first triple digits lift (on back squat) last Oct’20. It gave me a lot of confidence.
- Design your perfect workout?
30 Power Cleans (#95 lbs)
20 Back Squat (#100 lbs)
10 Snatch (#75 lbs)
8 Deadlifts (#175 lbs)
Weight Plank (#220 lbs) – 60 secs
Run a mile
- What is your least favorite movement?
Editor’s Note: Ironically, Anil still is a regular presence in our weightlifting classes, which focus on the snatch and clean and jerk. Talk about working your weaknesses!
- Summarize your lifestyle in 5 words or less.
Learn, Love, Live & Smile 🙂
- Have you experienced any changes in your lifestyle since joining Viking Athletics?
There are many things to say but the major one has to be my diet. I did work for a few months with Coach Emma. She helped me to see what you eat impacts on how you feel and perform at the gym. Her constant support and feedback (along with my weightlifting coach Chris) is a big plus towards my performance and physical improvements.
- What advice do you have for anyone who is thinking about joining or who has recently joined?
You are in the right place. Everyone here is welcoming, friendly and encourages you. Our coaches are very knowledgeable and they teach you everything that you need to know to make you feel safe and have a great workout. In the beginning, the workout may seem hard and sometimes not that fun, but as time passes by, you’ll notice the improvements in your performance.