Congratulations to Amber Washington for being the June 2020 member of the month here at Viking Athletics! Amber is a 20+ year vegetarian and long-time Viking Athletics member of the 5am crew (except when she sleeps in and decides to attend the 8:45!). Here’s her interview, enjoy!
1. What are your hobbies/interest/talents outside of CrossFit?
Outside of CrossFit I enjoy traveling, gardening, hiking and an occasional yoga class.
2. Share with us one thing that most people do NOT know about you?
I’ve been a vegetarian for over 20 years. My first CrossFit coach told me I would never get a pull-up if I didn’t eat meat…he was definitely wrong. Editor’s note: NOT a coach at Viking Athletics
3. How long have you been with us at Viking Athletics?
4. Take us back to your first week here. How did you feel? Remember the workout?
It was so long ago, I have no recollection of my first CrossFit workout. I know I must have loved it, because I’ve coming back ever since!
5. What moment/achievement are you most proud of at Viking Athletics?
I would say my kipping pull-ups, I feel like it took me FOREVER (6+ years) to get them, they could still use some work but nonetheless I’m proud of them!
6. Design your perfect workout?
12 Minute AMRAP:
20 cal row
7. What is your least favorite movement?
TTB, I haven’t quite gotten the rhythm of them, I feel like an elephant swinging from the bar 😉
8. Summarize your lifestyle in 5 words or less.
Work hard, play hard.
9. Have you experienced any changes in your lifestyle now that you have been a CrossFit athlete?
I can’t think of any major lifestyle changes. If anything I try to pay more attention to how sleep, diet and alcohol affect my training.
10. What advice do you have for anyone who is thinking about joining or who has recently joined?
So cliché but, Just Do It! There is literally no downside to CrossFit. I’ve heard all kinds of reasons why people are nervous to try CrossFit, from fear of getting too bulky, to being intimidated by the weight lifting or because of an injury. I can say in my experience, I’ve seen all types of people have success doing CrossFit, everything can be modified so you get out of it what you need.
At the end of the day, you will get a great workout, it will make you physically/mentally strong and you will meet an amazing group of supportive people (shout out out to all my 5am peeps!!!). For me, its the best part of my day!