Congratulations to John Burke, our July 2021 Member of the Month here at Viking Athletics! John bounces around between a number of different class times. He’s super proud of joining the 300 lbs club in the back squat, and enjoys binge watching The Office. Learn more about him below!
- What are your hobbies/interest/talents outside of the gym?
Outside of work and the gym I enjoy golfing, hiking, fishing, playing soccer, and binge watching The Office.
- Share with us one thing that most people do NOT know about you?
I met Chuck Norris when I was in high school.
- How long have you been with us at Viking Athletics?
I started at Viking Athletics in January 2020.
- Take us back to your first week here. How did you feel? Remember the workout?
I remember the first workout here was something with box jumps and kettle bell swings. I had just moved back here from Chicago and had taken a month off from CrossFit. I went all out on this first workout back and it took me like a week to recover.
- What moment/achievement are you most proud of at Viking Athletics?
This past month I finally hit 300lbs on my back squat. I have never been good at squatting, so I was very happy when I finally hit that number.
- Design your perfect workout?
I really enjoy the short sprint workouts, so my perfect workout would be:
3 Rounds for Time:
50 Double Unders
10 Deadlifts (225 lbs)
- What is your least favorite movement?
It is probably a tie between thrusters and burpees. Both are equally as bad for me.
- Summarize your lifestyle in 5 words or less.
Live free or die
- Have you experienced any changes in your lifestyle since joining Viking Athletics?
Since joining Viking Athletics I have been focusing more on nutrition and eating clean. I definitely notice a difference in my workouts when I meal prep and eat clean versus ordering out and eating junk food.
- What advice do you have for anyone who is thinking about joining or who has recently joined?
Stick with it and do not be discouraged when you are first starting. Everyone starts somewhere and if put in the time and effort and keep coming to class you will see results. The coaches at Viking Athletics are great and will help you out, and the members here are very encouraging and will cheer you on.